Re: Problem with FOP

Subject: Re: Problem with FOP
From: "James Tauber" <jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:16:24 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> You must have some formatting object containers around your
> output. You are just diving straight into text, which isn't allowed. I
> am not sure what a minimal set is (ie whether just
> <fo:flow>..</fo:flow> is legal, or whether you need a fo:block etc)

The minimal set is quite a bit larger. As far as I can tell, this is the
minimal FO tree:

<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/XSL/Format/1.0";>
    <fo:layout-master-set>
        <fo:simple-page-master page-master-name="master">
            <fo:region-body/>
        </fo:simple-page-master>
    </fo:layout-master-set>
    <fo:page-sequence>
        <fo:sequence-specification>
            <fo:sequence-specifier-single page-master-name="master"/>
        </fo:sequence-specification>
        <fo:flow>
            <fo:block>Hello World!</fo:block>
        </fo:flow>
    </fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>

> The fact that FOP gives a Java NullPointerException is presumably just
> temporary. It'll give you sensible errors one of these days, I expect.

Sometimes it has been know to give sensible errors but it depends on the
number of prime factors in the number of seconds past the hour.

I'll add it to my list of bug fixes.

> I regret to say that the PassiveTeX stuff I announced last week
> probably *would* process your file!

At least it does good error recovery!

James
--