Re: Microsoft's take on XSL

Subject: Re: Microsoft's take on XSL
From: Chris Maden <crism@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:21:33 -0400 (EDT)
[Sebastian Rahtz]
> > My style sheet says
> >
> >   xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0'
> >
> > so my things start "<xsl:", just like Microsoft's do. are they
> > saying that instead I will do
> >
> >   xmlns:xsl='http://microsoft.com/XSL/Transform/1.0'

[Kay Michael]
> Yes, I think that's what they mean. If you want "xsl:" to mean "the
> Microsoft flavour of XSL" then seems seems a reasonable way of
> saying so.

That's not what they mean (I don't think).

Right now, MSIE 5.0 supports the "http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl";
namespace, because they (partially) implemented an early draft.  The
final REC of XSLT 1.0 will probably still use the
"http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0"; namespace.  Microsoft appears to
be saying that the old namespace will continue to work, and in the
manner in which it currently works.  The new namespace will work, they
say, in a manner compatible with the processing requirements of the
XSLT 1.0 Recommendation, whatever those are.

-Chris