Re: Chapter 14 of the XML Bible now online

Subject: Re: Chapter 14 of the XML Bible now online
From: "James Tauber" <jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 22:18:16 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I quite enjoyed this. But I do take exception to the statement
>
> "You cannot use XSL to transform to or from non-XML formats like PDF, TeX,
>  Microsoft Word, PostScript, MIDI, or others"
>
> as it is supported both explicitly in XT, and implicitly by
> <xsl:text>. There is no reason (apart from wordiness) not to write:

I too disagree with the statement, but it is almost right. XSL, by itself,
cannot transform from or to a non-XML format. Even in your example with
xsl:text, sebastian, the result is an XML entity.

*However*, XSL most certainly *can* be used to transform to non-XML formats,
you just one additional thing: an output filter that understands the
result-ns. XT supports a couple.  XSLT engines can easily embed FOP, thereby
outputting PDF.

James
--
James Tauber / jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx / www.jtauber.com