Can't use 'id' function in XT 19990725

Subject: Can't use 'id' function in XT 19990725
From: "Harbarth, Juliane" <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:06:26 +0200
I have an XML instance that makes use of the ID/IDREF
attributes to establish links within the document, e.g.
the document contains '<section1 id="Test1">' as well as
'<ref idref="Test1"/>'.

In addition, I have an XSL stylesheet that converts the
link-ends to '<A name=...' and the link-starts to
'<A href=...'. The content of the latter is set to "( -> "
plus the content of the 'header' element of the link-end,
i.e. the link-starts are converted as follows :

    	<xsl:template match="ref">
	 <xsl:variable name="targetid"><xsl:value-of
select="@idref"/></xsl:variable>
       <xsl:element name="A">
          <xsl:attribute name="href">#<xsl:value-of
select="$targetid"/></xsl:attribute>
          ( -> <xsl:value-of select="//node()[@id=$targetid]/header"/>)
	 </xsl:element>
    	</xsl:template>

This works nicely, but if I replace "//node()[@id=$targetid]"
with "id($targetid)" which (to my understanding) amounts to the
same thing, it does not work. The node with id equal to $targetid
is not found. What am I getting wrong ?

I would gladly send the files (XML, XSL, and DTD) to anybody
interested.

Regards,

Juliane Harbarth
Technical Consultant