Re: XML Search Engine Upgrade

Subject: Re: XML Search Engine Upgrade
From: Deborah Aleyne Lapeyre <dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:54:30 -0400
>We have been asked by many people to propose standard tags for marking
>up key data so it can be found.

A few points. "Proposing standard tags":

  1)  Is not a small undertaking
  2)  Requires subject and "how used" knowledge
  3)  Is being tackled, even as we speak, by
      many different groups, vertical markets,
      industries, consortia, and companies,
      each of which will have its own
      "standard" tags
  4)  Is self-defeating for a general purpose tool.

Before you go that route, examine, RDF, the
Dublin Core, ISO 12083, etc., etc. and so forth.

--Debbie

Deborah Aleyne Lapeyre               mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9633