Need a way to hide children with certain attributes.

Subject: Need a way to hide children with certain attributes.
From: "Kara Lee" <karal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:05:48 -0700
Is there a way to hide children with a certain attribute but display all
others.  I need this functionality not when I create the page, but in an
onclick event.  I using a script to do it now, but I don't know how to make
the script read attributes from the XML tags.
XML:
   <Authors>
	<Author Onclick="show">Smith J</Author>
	<Author Onclick="hide">Doe J</Author>
   </Authors>

Currently the stylesheet formats it like this:
- Authors
Smith J
Doe J

Script for an onclick event:
			e = window.event.srcElement;
			// find the +/- symbol
          			mark = e.children(0);

          			// if it is already collapsed, expand it by showing the
children
          			if (mark.innerText == "+")
          			{
            				mark.innerText = "-";
            				for (var i = 1; i < e.children.length; i++)
              				{
				       	   e.children(i).style.display = "";
					}

          			}

          			// if it is expanded, collapse it by hiding the children
          			else if (mark.innerText == "-")
          			{
					mark.innerText = "+";
            				for (var i = 1; i < e.children.length; i++)
					{
              				   e.children(i).style.display="none";
					}
          			}

I want the format to look like this:
- Authors
Smith J
Doe J
Then Onclick to look like this:
- Authors
Smith J

It may not be possible, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Kara Lee
Applied Technical Systems
karal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx