Re: XSL opportunities

Subject: Re: XSL opportunities
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:46:59 -0400 (EST)
At 28 Jul 1999 11:28 -0700, Chuck White wrote:
 > I loathe this kind of behavior so much that I did a WHOIS so everyone can
 > contact the individuals responsible and let them know their opinions about
 > this kind of practice:

It is within scope for the XSL-List since, at some level, it is
related to XSL.

As I reminded people just this week:

   There is no restriction to what may be posted on the XSL-List
   provided it is related to XSL.

When that single policy decision was made, I knew that eventually
somebody would advertise something, most likely a job recruitment
advertisement, and we'd have a discussion like this one.

When the DSSSList was started, it didn't have any written policy, so
the first advertisement it received unearthed major differences of
opinions from list subscribers about what was acceptable on that list.
The eventual decision was that advertisements were okay, and that
ideally they'd be no longer than four lines each.

Other lists that I'm on have prohibitions against any sort of
advertisement, and breaking that rule can get you taken off the list.

The XSL-List policy doesn't prohibit advertisements because, even
though you're not alone in disliking them, some people do appreciate
them, and somebody out there probably thinks this is their lucky day.

There's also a gamut of advertising: job ads, product ads, conference
ads, etc. (and not counting the spam that is screened out because this
is a subscribers-only list).  Different people's tolerance to
advertisements varies depending on the subject.  With over 1,000
subscribers, there isn't going to be an advertising policy that is
going to please everybody.  Heck, even the restriction that posts have
to relate to XSL doesn't always please everyone.

The policy is fixed until I change it.  I do listen to people's
opinions on policy issues, but I've given up taking votes about such
things since in my experience less than 5% of a list will respond to a
call to vote.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632