Re: What's the correct DTD for XSL?

Subject: Re: What's the correct DTD for XSL?
From: "James Tauber" <jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 01:28:53 +0800
> That raises the question: what is the correct DTD for XSL?  Would it
explicitly
> include all the attributes of an <fo:block> in an <fo:inline-sequence>
(plus a
> great multitude of similarly situated attributes)?  Or is the question of
> validating an XSLT stylesheet as an XML document simply uninteresting to
most
> members of this community?

It is unclear to me whether you are asking for a DTD for an XSL stylesheet
or a DTD for a serialisation of a result tree in the XSL FO vocabulary. They
are quite different things.

The DTD for an XSL stylesheet is completely dependent on the result tree
vocabulary. A stylesheet that results in XHTML would have one DTD, a
stylesheet that results in FOs would have another DTD, a stylesheet that
results in FOs with diagrams in SVG would have yet another DTD.

The DTD for a FO result tree is less useful because you wouldn't normally
serialise the result tree. Your transformation engine would just give the
result tree to the formatter without serialising and having the formatter
have to reparse.

In your specific example above, no, you wouldn't put all the attributes of
block on inline-sequence (eg space-before). What you would do is include
every single inheritable attribute on every single formatting object that
can be an ancestor of a formatting object that uses it.

James