Re: Multiple pages of well formed HTML ---> XML

Subject: Re: Multiple pages of well formed HTML ---> XML
From: Duane Nickull <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 09:37:07 -0700

"McKisson, Shawn" wrote:

> Does this sound like a reasonable solution to the problem? Any other
> suggestions? (I haven't looked into XLink, so I'm not sure exactly what it
> is or if it is relevant here)

hello Shawn:

I am not sure that I have interpreted your request properly.  It seems
as though you want to take in multiple *XML* file and present them on
one *HTML* page.

Using Data Source Object (DSO) Binding,  you can write an HTML page that
the client's browser will use as a template to build such a page.  The
page will load one or more XML files and allow you to walk the input XML
tree and select nodes to display and/or manipulate.  I have played
around with DSO binding a bit and found it a very handy technology.  I
have a great demo at:

http://www.walkaboutwebs.com/xmlcart/engine.html

DRAWBACKS:

At this time,  only MSIE 5.0+ will work on this demo.  Additionally,  if
the client has selected a "HIGH" security setting,  the demo will not
work.  It must be on "Med" or lower.

VIRTUES:

You can use one or more scripting languages to manipulate the data.

I believe that M$ is onto something here and hope that others will start
using this standard.

We also have our own proprietary system called eXtensible Object Server
Pages (XOSP).  It was designed for anyone looking to run an alternative
to Microsoft's Active Server Pages (*.asp) on an Apache and UNIX/LINUX
platform (we anticipated there may be one or two such people on the
internet) These files have a *.xsp extension and can pull in XML data
from an unlimited number of sources.  These are processed server side
and presented as content type "text/html" so it works wil ALL browsers.

The technology preview edition will be out in late August or September.

Duane Nickull
http://www.goxml.com
"XML Search Engine"