inserting a < in the result

Subject: inserting a < in the result
From: "Chuck White" <chuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 17:40:35 -0700
Sorry if this seems like a basic XML question, but I'm not particularly good
at managing character data questions, and it's starting to show. I would
like to insert a left angle bracket into a result document, but not as a
part of any element. Is this possible? This is what I tried, using XT:

<xsl:if test="ancestor::center"><![CDATA[<]]></xsl:if>

Of course, it gives me &lt; as a result, but I don't know what else to try.
I'm trying to create a result tree consisting only of a document node with a
text node as its only child (rather than a root element node as the first
child) but the text files need to use the < and > characters without being
part of any elements. Which seems to violate the well-formedness rule
invoked by section 3.1 in the XSLT draft ("When written out a result tree
may not be a well-formed XML document, but will be a well-formed external
general parsed entity").

So, am I out of luck? Can I not create a text file with a standalone < or >
character? It seems like if I create a text file that has the literal
character <, then it wouldn't be well formed.

thanks for any advice!

Chuck White
Advance Recruitment Advertising, Inc.
chuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx