Re: lists as parameters

Subject: Re: lists as parameters
From: "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 12:07:33 +0200
Jon Smirl <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Is there someway to pass list/collections as parameters? Here's what I
would
>like to do, but this isn't allowed....

Thats known as matching on "result tree fragments" and is explicitly
forbidden in the current draft. Basically the argument against it was that
it introduces multi-pass capabilities into XSL, and reduces the ability to
do incremental implementations. Personally I don't find this very
convincing - string processing gives raise to the same problems as result
tree matching.

>I tried to achieve this with the string functions but I couldn't come up
>with a scheme to handle a variable number of items.

It should be possible, though. I've posted a few months back an XSL program
which solves the n-queens problem by abusing the string operations - if you
look it up you could probably get some ideas on how to achieve what you
need. I'd be wary of actually using such code in a real system, though. I'd
prefer to chain two XSLT stylesheets instead.

Share & Enjoy,

    Oren Ben-Kiki