RE: XSL controversy

Subject: RE: XSL controversy
From: "Maxime Levesque" <maximel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:58:38 -0700

  With DOM, you can do anything that a programming language
let's you do with a tree structure, so there probably exists 'funky'
transformations that will break the teeth of an XSL'er, but
I think that they are only of academic interrest (all languages
that have DOM implementations are turing complete, and so is XSL,
so the question of wether one is more 'powerfull' than the other
is not the right one).

  XSL offers much higher level constructs that are non procedural
(and that is why they are appealing).

 Some tasks have the characteristic of being definable with
dense, high level and abstract terms. That's why people
come up with higher level languages for them. I strongly
beleive that transforming an XML document falls in this
category of tasks.

 Take SQL for example, one could very well manipulate a relationnal
database with a procedural language, but people preffer SQL,
because of it's abstract and non procedural nature.

 It's interresting to note that anti XSL'ers advocate CSS1/CSS2.
Selectors in CSS2, are also rule based, (a kind of subset of XPath).
Imagine if you had to navigate the DOM with your favorite language
to set the display attributes of your nodes ...

 Maxime Levesque