Re: Q: How to select different style sheets at run time?

Subject: Re: Q: How to select different style sheets at run time?
From: dog <dog@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 08:47:42 +0100
todd.schwartz wrt:
> I am wondering if anyone knows of a standard way to change the style sheet
> applied to an XML document at run time. For example, I have a single XML
> photo album document (see below) that contains both the thumbnail and
> full-size versions of each photo. I have a default style sheet "album.xsl"
> that displays a table with the thumbnails. What I would like is to somehow
> make each thumbnail a link to the same XML document with a different style
> sheet applied, say "photo.xsl". Microsoft has proprietary DOM extensions
> that can do this; I was hoping there would be a more standard way. Seems
> like there ought to be a way to specify "document + style sheet" in a URI...

see http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet paying attention to the 'alternate'
attribute. your server/servlet/resource-implementation can select alternate
stylesheets via information posted to a resource or by a url mechanism such as

  http://host/images        to select the default (album.xsl) stylesheet
  http://host/images?photo  to select the photo.xsl stylesheet

dog