Re: PowerPoint is dead. Long live XML!

Subject: Re: PowerPoint is dead. Long live XML!
From: zun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:47:00 -0400 (EWT)
Hi everyone,

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

[ details about using XML to generate presentation slides ]

> With some additional work I think I can probably generate both
> the book chapter and the slides from one XML document. The
> speaker's notes already include a lot more text than what the
> audience sees. I just need to mark certain parts "book only" or
> "slides only", possibly using modes. I think I'm going to do all
> my presentations this way in the future. PowerPoint is dead.
> Long live XML!

This is a surprise? =)

We've been preparing courseware for corporate technical training using XSL
and xt since the beginning of the year.

The material is written in XML and two XSL stylesheets transform it into
HTML, one suitable for web display, and the other for printing.  A
glossary and URL reference index is also generated, but unfortunately that
currently requires Java extension functions in xt.

Hopefully the multiple output extension element makes it into the
standard, because that is definitely needed.

We're waiting for the current crop of FO processors to mature so that we
do printing that way instead of through HTML and Netscape (although it
works rather well right now).

. . . Sean.