Re: Positioning properties

Subject: Re: Positioning properties
From: "Paul Tchistopolskii" <paul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:33:34 -0700
>> I can understand the properties of a block about his position.
>> I can have a relative, absolute, fixed ecc. position.
>> Can I have an absolute position only inside another fo:block ?

Absolute position is calculated with respect to the *containing
block*. For instance, if your element is a direct child of
a fo:flow | fo:static-content, then the position is calculated
with respect to the correspondent region on the page, set by the
region-body or any of the side regions.

>> Is it possible to define the dimension of a block ?

if ('define'=='set explicitly')
{
   You cannot easily control the absolute dimensions of a generic fo:block.
   However, there are several objects that do have the possibility
   to specify their dimensions explicitly, namely:
      - fo:inline-graphic and fo:display-graphic;
      - fo:inline-included-container and fo:display-included-container.
   These four elements have 'height' and 'width' attributes. For any
   other element, you can control its absolute dimensions by placing
   it inside either of the included-containers. There are also more
   tricky techniques.
}
else if ('define'=='obtain the value of')
{
   In principle, there exist a mechanism named "expressions"
   (XSL WD p.3.5) that could provide for this. But it is still very
   rudimentary in the current draft, and nothing definite can be
   said at the moment.
}

>> Can I have a text block with specified dimension and another block for
>> example on the right of it with different dimensions ?

It is possible but not simple.

>> Can I have an fo:inline-block ?

Probably fo:inline-included-container is what you mean. It enables
you to put an entire rectangular area (filled with blocks or whatever
other staff) to be placed as an inline element

Rgds.Paul.