Re: Count a element in a specific section

Subject: Re: Count a element in a specific section
From: zun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 11:21:40 -0400 (EWT)
Hi Stephane, everyone,

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Stephane St-Denis wrote:

> I would like to know if it is possible to count a element
> in a specific section.
>
> Example :
> <ie>
> <breakdown>
>  <ie>
>   <name>
>   <ie>
>    <name>
>   </ie>
>  </ie>
> </breakdown>
> </ie>

Your <name> tags should be <name/> right?

> XSL :
> <xsl:template match="*/ie/name">

*/ie/name won't work, but //ie/name will.

>   <xsl:value-of select="count(from-ancestors(IE in section
> Breakdown))"/>
> </xsl:template>
>
> It is possible to have a statement to execute
> this : count(from-ancestors(IE in section Breakdown)).

Yes, count(ancestor::breakdown//ie) if you want 2 as your answer.  You
have to think in terms of node sets.

However it sounds like you're using IE's XSL, so you probably need
something like count(from-ancestors(breakdown)/ie), but I'm not familiar
with IE at all.

Questions like these are easy to answer by playing around in my XPathShow
tool that highlights nodes returned from an XPath expression.  Ironing out
the final bugs now, it should be released by the end of this week =)

. .  Sean.