Re: Crazy idea

Subject: Re: Crazy idea
From: "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:23:30 +0200
Francis Norton <francis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ... a function call typically takes a single line, maybe less than
> one line. If I'm trying to keep my code legible then each parameterised
> named template call will take about 2+n lines where n is the number of
> parameters; eg:
>
> <!-- generate and implictly pass back a result object -->
> <xsl:call-template name="valid-choice">
> <xsl:with-param name="tree-count" select="$tree-count" />
> <xsl:with-param name="content-list" select="$content-list" />
> <xsl:with-param name="valid-pattern" select="$valid-pattern" />
> </xsl:call-template>

Yes, that's pretty annoying. It would have been so very nice if it were
possible to write:

<xsl:call-template name="its-name" some-param-name="..."
another-param-name="..."/>

As long that the parameter names don't clash with XSL attributes - XSLT
could declare it would never define any attribute whose name matches some
pattern (ends with "-param", say?). Today I've got little pieces of code
which would be functions in any other language, but it turns out that the
call to a named template is longer then the code it replaces!

Have fun,

    Oren Ben-Kiki