Re: Crazy idea

Subject: Re: Crazy idea
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 18:49:20 +0700
Oren Ben-Kiki wrote:

> It would have been so very nice if it were
> possible to write:
>
> <xsl:call-template name="its-name" some-param-name="..."
> another-param-name="..."/>
>
> As long that the parameter names don't clash with XSL attributes - XSLT
> could declare it would never define any attribute whose name matches some
> pattern (ends with "-param", say?).

Back in the original XSL note (see section 3.3.4), you could call macros
using:

  <its-name some-param-name="..." another-param-name="..."/>

We currently allow this sort of syntax for extension elements.  So to
get this convenience back for calling named templates, all that's
missing is some glue to connect an extension element to a named
template.  The glue needs to declare whether a parameter is treated as
an attribute value template or an expression, and which parameter, if
any, is being specified by the content (this parameter would be a result
tree fragment).

James