RE: xsl variables

Subject: RE: xsl variables
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:59:15 +0100
> I have a trouble with an XSL file where I would like to define a
> variable and increase it to reference different repetitions in an EDI
> document.

That's not the way to iterate in XSL, because you can't update variables.
You need to use a recursive approach. There are several recent examples of
this on this list.

> <xsl:variable name="index" expr="1"/>

The current syntax is select="1" but it depends which XSL product you are
using.

> <xsl:for-each select="//NAD2[indice]">

You don't need to specify a "subscript" in for-each: the select-expression
should evaluate to the set of nodes you want to process, not to an
individual node in the set. While you are processing an individual node, you
can determine its position in the set using the position() function.

Mike Kay