Re: expressing DTDs with UML

Subject: Re: expressing DTDs with UML
From: "Dave Carlson" <dcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 21:12:00 -0600
You might look at the XML Metadata Interchange (XMI) specification adopted
by the OMG.  It includes a standard set of production rules for generating a
DTD from any UML model (or, technically, from a MOF-compliant model).  Also,
IBM has released an XMI Toolkit on their alphaworks web site that will take
a Rational Rose model file and generate a DTD, following the XMI mapping
rules.  I've had pretty good luck creating a UML model in Rose and
generating a DTD using the XMI Toolkit.  The XMI mapping is a bit verbose,
but it appears useful for data interchange applications of XML.

Dave