Re: Writing out '-', not '<'.

Subject: Re: Writing out '-', not '<'.
From: "Mallikarjuna Sangappa" <malliks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:10:19 PDT
Mike,

Which engine are u using to do the translation?

Mallik

From: Michael.Scepaniak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Writing out '<', not '&lt;'.
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:26:11 -0400

All,

I'd like to assign the string "<body bgcolor="White">" to an xsl:variable and
then output that variable as part of my HTML output, but I am unable to do it.
It always comes out as &lt;. Section 7.2 of draft 13 of the spec. states "Note
that text is processed at the tree level. Thus, markup of &lt; in a template
will be represented in the stylesheet tree by a text node that includes the
character <. This will create a text node in the result tree that contains a <
character, which will be represented by the markup &lt; (or an equivalent
character reference) when the result tree is externalized as an XML document."
Does this mean that what I'm trying to do is impossible?

I've tried all of the following, but get the same output everytime (&lt;body
bgcolor="White">):
<xsl:variable name="body" select="'&lt;BODY bgcolor=&quot;White&quot;&gt;'"/>
or
<xsl:variable name="body">&lt;BODY bgcolor=&quot;White&quot;&gt;</xsl:variable>
or
<xsl:variable name="body"><![CDATA[<body bgcolor="White">]]></xsl:variable>

and

<xsl:value-of select="$body"/>

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Mike....