Re: xmlns invalid? xt or XSLT problem?

Subject: Re: xmlns invalid? xt or XSLT problem?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 18:11:18 +0100 (BST)

If you are doing this:
>   <xsl:output method="html" encoding="utf-8"/>

then you are using the latest draft so shouldn't be doing this:

>   result-ns=""

which means that you don't absolutely need to do this:

>       xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";

and if you don't do that everything will be fine.

However even at the best of times may still get this:

> nsgmls tells me that according to the DTD specified,
> there is no attribute xmlns.

To a namespace aware processor
and

are equivalent expressions, but a validating XML parser using a DTD
that has an `html' element is going to moan about html:html.
And will moan about extra namespace attributes added as well if
the dtd was written before the namespace spec and doesn't allow
xmlns everywhere.

Basically in namespace world, you give up on DTD validation and pray for
schemas (or something).

David