Re: advanced sorting (order-by)

Subject: Re: advanced sorting (order-by)
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 11:23:42 +0100 (BST)

   Hmm, can you do more advanced sorting using order-by,using eval or
   something. I have an xml structure where I want it to sort by an an average
   rating that should
   be calculated on the fly. I guess I could run it through a xsl stylesheet
   first and and add an average rating element,
   then use  it for sorting. Something like eval in the order-by parameter
   seems more practical though... anyone?

There isn't an order-by parameter in xslt or xpath, so perhaps you are
refering to the xsl in ie5. If so _please_ state that you are using
the microsoft implementation when asking questions. It is an almost
completely different language to the current W3C XSLT draft.

In XSL ordering is controlled by the select attribute to xsl:sort.
This takes any XSL expression so you can use xpath functions such as
sum().

David