Re: text/xsl vs application/xsl-xml

Subject: Re: text/xsl vs application/xsl-xml
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 13:41:11 -0400
At 08:43 PM 10/7/99 -0600, Mike Brown wrote:
>I asked Murata Makoto, one of the authors (along with our own Simon St.
>Laurent) of the XML Media Types Internet Draft at
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-murata-xml-00.txt, to clarify an
>ambiguous point in the draft.

I never thought I'd get called 'our own' on this list, but I'm _very_ glad
to see that someone is paying attention to the MIME developments and their
potential impact on XSL.

>The draft is clear on one point: the subtype for XSL documents should be
>xsl-xml, not just xsl. But it is not clear on when text/xsl-xml should be
>used, as opposed to application/xsl-xml. The only explicit statement on this
>subject is "To indicate that an XML entity should be treated as plain text
>by default, use the text/xml media type" but there is no mention of whether
>the same applies for other XML-based subtypes, or what treatment "as plain
>text" means.

This is something that needs further discussion, to say the least.  If you
have strong opinions on this subject, in fact any opinions, _please_ join
us on the ietf-xml-mime mailing list (archives at
http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-mime/) to discuss it.  The list is mostly MIME
folks, and we need both the MIME and the XML/XSL communities involved in
this discussion.

>Murata responded that he will try to incorporate more information in the
>next draft, and he forwarded part of a dialogue he had with Ned Freed, a
>co-author of MIME RFCs.

Yep.  There will definitely be more information in the next draft, though
it's not clear yet which way that information will lean.  Please let me (or
Murata Makoto) know what your thoughts are or (better) join the list
mentioned above.

Thanks!

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer, 2nd Ed.