Re: foo ... bar Re: Q: XML+XSL transforms to a print-ready format

Subject: Re: foo ... bar Re: Q: XML+XSL transforms to a print-ready format
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 20:38:09 +0100 (BST)
Paul Tchistopolskii writes:
 > > Possibly I am going mad, but the test.fo and test.pdf here seem to
 > > illustrate something else entirely. Curiously, it is something I am
 > > interested in, but it isnt running heads....
 >
 > Not just curiosly. We were taking into account one of  your
 > old letters, thinking that you are talking mostly about the problem
 > which is common to both usecases and makes is OK  to be
 > solved on the level of FOs.
Ah, it was not coincidence. Thanks, anyway, for explaining that old
point (which I had not solved in the meanwhile).

in case people haven't looked at Paul's file, he is saying that I can
do `fillers' like

  Introduction ................................. 63

with something like this:

<fo:block>
<fo:inline-sequence inhibit-line-breaks="true">Introduction
 <fo:inline-rule rule-style="dotted" rule-thickness="2pt"/>
  63</fo:inline-sequence>
</fo:block>

(back to running headers).

I think you and James have been over this in the meanwhile, so just to
confirm

 > You will prepare the XML testcase and the expected
 > result of rendering in PDF format using the existing

I could do this, obviously, using an XSLT spec which outputs LaTeX,
but since we all agree its `simply' a flaw in XSL FO, I am not sure it
would help much.

 > day-to-day formatter ( also I'm sure that you'l  use some
 > package around the core formatter. I don't think there is
 > some formatter that supports such an exotoc fuctionlaity
 > in the core API ).
its in the core of TeX, not surprisingly, being a standard feature of
a formatter.... I cannot actually think of a formatter I have used
that does not handle it. But then most of my typesetting has been done
with TeX.

for what its worth, I have typeset maybe 20 serious books for
myself and other people, and I cannot think of one which did not have
running heads which depended on the section heading, which might
change anywhere on the page. But then I cannot think of one which did
not have several dozen tables, either :-}

Sebastian