Re: foo ... bar Re: Q: XML+XSL transforms to a print-ready format

Subject: Re: foo ... bar Re: Q: XML+XSL transforms to a print-ready format
From: "James Tauber" <jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 21:44:54 -0400
>  c) It is intrinsically impossible to write a style specification
>     language, unless the style engine has communication with
>     the typesetting engine (as TeX does)
[...]
> on the whole, I'd agree with c) :-} (taking as my example the case
> where a table caption is formatting differently depending on whether
> or not it fits on one line, which needs access to the typeset result)

I gave another example in Montreal. A couple of my topics didn't fit on
single slides so I had to repeat the heading on a new slide with (cont'd)
afterwards.

I don't think it would be *impossible* to support something like this (ie my
example) in XSL. My initial thinking is that this is just a twist on running
headers with the *first* instance of a particular header differing in
appearance from all others.

Again, the difficulty would be in coming up with a nice, consistent,
generalised expression for the XSL spec. Implementing it wouldn't be that
hard. (I could do it in a day in FOP, but I'd probably change my mind about
the markup a number of times :-)

James