Re: foo ... bar Re: Q: XML+XSL transforms to a print-ready format

Subject: Re: foo ... bar Re: Q: XML+XSL transforms to a print-ready format
From: "Paul Tchistopolskii" <paul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 02:41:41 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: Sebastian Rahtz
Sent: Monday, October 11, 1999 2:37 AM

>  > >  > Maybe some day I'l find an xml input with PDF output rendered by
>  > >  > some 'typical day-to-day formatter',  to play with it,
>  > >  > just to show  that it is not
>  > >  > a big deal to create similiar proprietary solution with  XSL FO based
>  > >  > renderx engine.
>  >
>  > > I'll make you a plain example with running heads in a moment.
>
> have a look at http://users.ox.ac.uk/~rahtz/passivetex/stock.pdf.
> A start at the XML source  is
> http://users.ox.ac.uk/~rahtz/passivetex/stock.xml, but I have not
> worked out the details of the table markup yet (using the TEI DTD, so
> table markup is minimal). I am sure some kind soul could translate
> this to Docbook or something.

Thank you very much for providing this material.
James' proposal is also realy brilliant.

Generaly speaking, what we realy need is to change the nodes
of FO tree at 'runtime' depending on some 'formatting events'
generated by formatter, right?  I may want to change the color of
the header if there is a Table on the page ( and only in this case).
Right? ;-)

It's not my proposal yet.  It's to explain that we need some time
to think about the 'running headers' problem, because maybe
there are some other things trying to 'run' ? ;-)

> The table is not `complex', but equally, I do not see how to render it
> as a list.

It's another issue - we'l be back on it.

> Anyway, the PDF file shows the running footer alternating on even/odd
> pages, and containing the values of the section and subsection titles
> for the current page. The running head is of the form "N of M", just
> to add some entertainment.
>
> No, I have not written the XSL spec :-} (will work on it)

That's great.
Many thanks.

Rgds.Paul.