XSLT namespace URI change

Subject: XSLT namespace URI change
From: Edd Dumbill <edd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 19:10:42 +0000
I note the change in the XSLT namespace URI from

http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0

http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform

I'm glad to see the version number go into an attribute,  and I note
that the PR says that 1999 indicates the year the W3C allotted the
namespace <http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#xslt-namespace>.

Does this also mean that http://www.w3.org/2000/XSL/Transform is a valid
and completely distinct namespace? Or does it imply there is a
connection between all the namespaces http://www.w3.org/*/XSL/Transform?

If version 1.1 is released in 2000 will the namespace URI change, or
will XSLT's namespace URI retain 1999 forever?

Apart from preserving a bit of history, does having the year in the
namespace serve a function?

Is this pattern going to be made explicit in a recommendation for all
namespace URIs, or is it merely a suggestion?

Thanks for any explanations, and sorry if I've missed a previous
explanation of this somewhere.

cheers

Edd

--
Edd Dumbill ------/ a new media consultant, writer & technologist /--
 | Publishing Editor, xmlhack.com                <http://xmlhack.com>
 | Director, Useful Information Company        <http://usefulinc.com>
 : Internet Director, Pharmalicensing    <http://pharmalicensing.com>
 : UK voice/msg: +44 702-093-6870            UK fax: +44 870-164-0230