A FAQ question about non-Latin characters in XT output

Subject: A FAQ question about non-Latin characters in XT output
From: "Jarno Elovirta" <jarnose@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 18:34:04 +0300
A definately FAQ question to which I didn't find an answer in the XSL FAQ
though: I have some non-Latin characters in my xml documents as character
references and I'd like to run the documents through xt and those character
references would still be there. example:

Source:

  <character>
    &#x0069; &#x0047; &#x0049; &#x0107;
  </character>

Stylesheet:

  <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

  <xsl:output method="html" indent="yes"/>

    <xsl:template match="/">
      <xsl:value-of select="character"/>
    </xsl:template>

  </xsl:stylesheet>

when I run it through the latest xt, I get:

  <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
  i G I &#263;

, but I when I try to output it as xml by changing the method to "xml", I
get:

  i G I Ä?

and I'd like to get the same as with html output without the doctype.
what... am I missing? just plain stupidity on my part?

Jarno - the idiot, it seems
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Elovirta;Jarno