Re: Multiple Output Documents with XSLServlet

Subject: Re: Multiple Output Documents with XSLServlet
From: "Kirk V. Hastings" <khasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:46:44 -0700
Thanks Edd,

I knew it was a dumb question, but wanted to make sure there wasn't a better approach to generating frames with a servlet. I've implemented the method you suggested (passing a parameter to control what templates are used) and it works very well. However I worry that the inherent inefficiency of this approach is going to be a problem when I go live with my "document navigator". I suppose if I cache the stylesheet that will help a little, but XT is still going to have to be fired up three times for each view of the document...

Kirk

At 06:05 AM 10/12/99 +0000, you wrote:
On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 03:31:04PM -0700, Kirk V. Hastings wrote:
> Now I would like to do it dynamically with James Clark's XSLServlet.
> However, not being a Java programmer, I'm finding it difficult to see what
> changes I would have to make to the code in order to output multiple
> documents directly to the browser. Has anyone else tackled a similar problem?

The documents in a frameset are fetched in distinct HTTP operations,
which means your servlet will get invoked once for each document that
makes up the frameset. An HTTP GET only retrieves one at a time.

If you're just looking for a neat solution you might use a top-level
variable to control which stylesheet is used, which you can pass in via
the query string in the URL, but you can't deliver three documents to
one HTTP GET.

--
Edd Dumbill ------/ a new media consultant, writer & technologist /--
 | Publishing Editor, xmlhack.com                <http://xmlhack.com>
 | Director, Useful Information Company        <http://usefulinc.com>
 : Internet Director, Pharmalicensing    <http://pharmalicensing.com>
 : UK voice/msg: +44 702-093-6870            UK fax: +44 870-164-0230