Re: Nostradamus (was Re: FO. lists as tables)

Subject: Re: Nostradamus (was Re: FO. lists as tables)
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 20:06:00 +0100 (BST)
Rick Geimer writes:
 > > It sounds like no one's really happy.  So let those who want powerful FO
 > > vocabularies migrate to DSSSL, and those who can cope with a Web-centric
 > > vocabulary stick around with XSLT and CSS.
 >
 > I think you have ignored those who need both web and print display, and
 > don't want to have to deal with multiple languages to get it.

hear hear!!! I cannot buy into this horrible desire to separate
webbies and typsetters into different ghettos. We are all formatters,
using visual clues to present our material. Of course, there will
always be highly specialized needs in typesetting, and highly
specialized needs in some screen work, but most of the time there is
almost no difference.

Take the running heads thing -- wouldn't you want your Web browser to
display the current section title as you scroll through a long page?
do you want to be limited to just what is in <title>? no, so you'll want
to specify variable `running heads' just like I do.

My gripe against CSS is purely pragmatic -- there isn't a reliable
implementation. So each time I use it, it is like walking through a
minefield. The experience does not endear one to the language.

Nostradmus Jnr