Inlline-rules (Was: XSL:FO: Left ... Center ... Right)

Subject: Inlline-rules (Was: XSL:FO: Left ... Center ... Right)
From: "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:55:30 +0400
At Monday, October 18, 1999 7:02 AM, Stephen Deach wrote:

>So, given 2 or more inline-rules in a line,what do you expect? The most
>logical choices are:
>  "disallowed"
>     which is not supported in the history of typographic applications, or
>  "equalize length"
>     which is what every publishing industry product I know of (or have
>     worked on) has done. (Thus the genesis of the phrase "reasonable
>     expectation".)
>>
>>Nikolai's contention that the <inline-rule>s would actually each fill
>>up the entire rest of the line, yielding three lines, bothers me. Do
>>other people read "length='auto'" that way? that it is processed
>>sequentially, instead of being applied when the rest of the line is
>>complete?
>
>Per above,this would be the least-rational treatment of the option.

Steven, sorry for annoying you. I see I was wrong in my treatment
of inline-rules with length="auto". Can you confirm or reject my revised
interpretation of "equalized length" behaviour:

  rule length for <fo:inline-rule length="auto"> is calculated *after* all
  other inline sequences on the line are formatted. The remaining free
  space is divided equally between all such elements on the line.

I have a couple of further questions on this:
1) Is there any lower limit for the rule length? I mean, if the remaining
   free space is zero, do we really need to suppress the correspondent
   elements? We could require the length to be not less than the
   rule-thickness, or link it  somehow to the current font metrics - I don't
   have any idea.
2) What about making 'length' a composite property, with max/min/opt/etc
   like in space-*?

Regards,

Nikolai Grigoriev
RenderX