[ANN] Schematron

Subject: [ANN] Schematron
From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:07:21 +0800
This is a slightly delayed announcement for "The Schematron", which is a
tree-pattern schema language built on top of XSL.  (David Carlisle from this
list has contributed an error browser, and there are other plans in the
works.)

Example of error browser:
http://www.ascc.net/xml/resource/schematron/DavidCarlisle/schematron-frame.h
tml

Schematron home page:
http://www.ascc.net/xml/resource/schematron/schematron.html

The basic idea is to piggyback on top of XPath. I think the resulting
language is pretty good: trivial to implement, easy to use, and very
powerful.  It allows validation of structures that cannot be found using
regular grammar-based schema languages.

It is an open source project; I am in particular trying to get a language
that is useful for "overlaying" schemas (e.g. for best practise, variants
and debugging) rather than "defining" schemas (which XML Schemas is
addressing.)  Anyone who wants to contribute some code or ideas to this,
please feel free.

Rick Jelliffe
Computing Centre
Academia Sinica