Re:XSL FOs -> PDF using InDesign

Subject: Re:XSL FOs -> PDF using InDesign
From: KAREN_LEICHEL@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 14:57:08 -0600
One thing I don't understand in all this discussion is why you would even want
to use InDesign. If you ask technical writers to use InDesign, you're asking for
trouble. InDesign more closely has the capabilities of Quark XPress than of
Frame. Quark and InDesign are for display advertising layout which can be used
for web layout, but why use a tank to do a jeep's job? You still have to have
Photoshop and Illustrator to do the heavy-duty graphic fixes, so you're into
major money and memory to do these things. The fact that InDesign is a "good"
layout engine will not be enough.

My background before coming to tech writing was in graphics, and more
specifically display advertising layout. I keep up with what's going on in that
area. When I looked at the kind of computer that was needed to run InDesign, I
immediately thought that Quark probably shouldn't be worrying as much as they
are. I don't know many design houses that are running Windows 98 (necessary for
InDesign), Pentium II 300+ mghz (also necessary for InDesign) machines. My
experience is that tech writers and graphic artists in companies tend to be the
last ones to be upgraded. I have the newest computer in my tech writing group
and it will not meet the stated requirements of InDesign. Plus, it's going to be
a long time before we go to Windows98. Most graphic designers I know are running
Macs that won't meet the stated requirements for InDesign. Quark's requirements
are far more reasonable. I certainly am not upgrading my computers just to use
InDesign. The only thing it really has going for it is that Adobe is pushing it.
And where Adobe goes, graphic artist's eventually go.

For the record, at home I use a far superior product called PageStream. It is as
powerful as InDesign and Frame put together (long and short document work) and
has bundled a bitmap editor (like Photshop), a vector graphics program (like
Illustator), and a  text editor together with the most powerful layout program
I've ever seen. I rarely have to go outside of PageStream to do anything. I'm
running it on a 13 year old Amiga with 10.5 mg of RAM and a 200 mg hard drive,
and paid less than $200 for the program plus a number of extensions. I'm also
running it on an iMac and that program cost me $25 dollars.

Karey Leichel
United Defense