Re: Re[2]: Re:XSL FOs -> PDF using InDesign

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Re:XSL FOs -> PDF using InDesign
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 23:14:59 +0000 (GMT)
KAREN_LEICHEL@xxxxxxxx writes:
 > >because we do not have a jeep to hand.
 >
 > Why not? I'm just suggesting that the full program with all the
 > bells and whistles isn't necessary for this use. Please let know me
 > if I'm wrong in this assumption, since I am new to XML.

and I have not even tried InDesign, so I am probably talking rubbish
anyway. I just thought "someone is about to install a page formatter
on my network, why don't I use it for my XML stuff".

 > very familiar. It doesn't allow enough pages for our documents.

it has a limit on the number of pages???? in that case I won't even
fire it up!

 > Of course, we have to break up books to run them in Arbortext
 > Publisher too. Or Frame, or Acrobat. But I can run as many
 > pages/frames as needed in PageStream or IADS.

I confess that I met a limit of 65000 pages with TeX in an artificial
test.

 > If you make enough in half a day to buy a Pentium II motherboard,
 > then you aren't a tech writer here.

no, indeed. but if the technical authors in my institution asked for a
better computer, on the grounds that they needed to run a page
formatter which might help XML get into the system faster, I am sure I
would have no difficulty getting that past my manager....

Sebastian