Re: vendor neutral XSL extension namespace ?

Subject: Re: vendor neutral XSL extension namespace ?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:19:25 GMT

> I personally feel that an <xsl:assign> construct would make the language
> much more accessible to a very large number of users, both
> conventionally-trained programmers and self-taught script writers, and that
> this outweighs the rather abstract (dare I say academic?) benefits of being
> side-effect-free.

I felt honour bound to object to assign on principle, but I agree with
Paul that

> In other words the goal should not be to make XSL 2 "on the side." It
> should be to establish a common namespace for experimentation so that
> multiple vendors can implement the same experiment without needing to
> use someone else's namespace.

In otherwords if a group of vendors are going anyway to experiment with
assignmemnt then that is on its own sufficient reason to put assignment
into a common namespace, without implying any value judgement on the
particular extension in question.

David