RE: namespace frustration

Subject: RE: namespace frustration
From: Mike Brown <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:09:35 -0700
> I'm not sure the spec says whether or not xmlns
> should be output in HTML.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-HTML-Output-Method

"The version attribute indicates the version of the HTML. The default value
is 4.0, which specifies that the result should be output as HTML conforming
to the HTML 4.0 Recommendation."

XML Namespaces only apply to XML documents. An HTML 4.01 (or lower) document
is not an XML document. So I would say no, HTML output should not include
any namespace information.

But it might be safe to include that kind of thing, since xmlns as an
attribute should have no special meaning in HTML and wouldn't affect the
rendering of the document. It also may be desirable if the HTML is being
processed by an application that will take that attribute into account as if
it were equivalent to an XML namespace declaration.