Re: Difficulty with ISO-8859-1 encoding:SOLVED

Subject: Re: Difficulty with ISO-8859-1 encoding:SOLVED
From: Michael Laing <mpl@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 07:58:49 -0500
The answer:

> ... The DTD file does not contain
> an <?xml?> declaration, so the parser assumes that it is in UTF-8. It
> doesn't matter that the DTD is being used from an ISO-8859-1 file--it's
> still assumed to be in UTF-8.
>
> If the cent character in the DTD is encoded using ISO-8859-1, then this
> is an illegal character in UTF-8, so the parser chokes.
>
> Either add the <?xml?> prefix to the DTD file, with the correct encoding,
> or else store the cent character in the DTD using UTF-8. Or you could
> store the cent character as &#xA2;, so that it doesn't matter what
> encoding you use.
>
> - Steve Dahl
> sdahl@xxxxxxxxxxx

Adding the <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> declaration to
the DTD did the trick. The second method works too.

Using <xsl:output encoding="ISO-8859-1"/> in the stylesheet handles it
as expected on output as well, so I can easily do everything I need to
do to manipulate data in Latin1 - hooray!

ml