Processing XML. RFC.

Subject: Processing XML. RFC.
From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:15:44 -0800
Hello.

    It is not about SML ;-)

    Let us think about some technologies people use to process
    XML files. Simplified a bit.

    1.  SAX API  - streaming.

            a. Dataflow is 'read-only'.
            b. Processing Rules are very simple and callbacks usualy
            don't care about what happens on 'level up',  what is the
            hierarchy e t.c. Callback  receives the node ( and attributes ).
            Easy to use if your node has only attributes, but not
            elements ;-)
            c. Processing Rules are hardcoded by developer.

    2.  DOM. Document eats the entire memory. ;-)

            a. Dataflow could be 'read-write'.
            b. Processing Rules could be much more complex, because
            at any point it is possible to get information about the hierarhy,
            what happens in some other nodes e t.c.
            c. Processing Rules are hardcoded by developer.

            d. Some twist here is to consider DOM to be a
            stream of serialized objects and then map those
            objects into appropriate Java Classes. There is
            some framework of this kind advertized as
            'Say no to DOM'. Because it only simplifies the
            code for accessing  the nodes , but gives no
            big advantage with Processing Rules - it should
            be considered to be just a twist.

    3.   XT.  Document eats the entire memory.

            a. Dataflow is 'read-only'.
            ( I'm not talking about existing vendor-specific
            extensions yet ).

            b. Processing Rules are cool.
            c. Processing Rules are not hardcoded.

    What looks missing to me is:

    XT1        XT  + streaming and
    XT2        XT  + dataflow is 'read-write'

    Q0. Something tells me that because SAX and DOM are 2 different things -
    XT1 and XT2 are also different things. Right ?

    Q1. I think XT and alikes are very close to become XT2, but they
    are getting  there supporting  DOM as an output.
    (Do they ?  I think XT does. )

    That means that we'l need to have 2 DOM Objects in the memory
    ( input and transformed output ).

    Could it be even possible to have only one DOM object in the
    memory... Transformating 'itself' ...  ?

    Is there any idea or any effort in W3C to get  something  similiar
    to 'read-write'  XSLT and if yes - maybe there is any URL there ?

    Q2. Maybe there is already something similiar to XT1 and/or  XT2  ?

    Q3. I could live with such XT1 / XT2 if they are not xml-ish, but I think
    they should be ?

Rgds.Paul.