Re: new feature desired: return variable value

Subject: Re: new feature desired: return variable value
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:05:24 GMT
> There is a new feature I would like to see in XSLT --

You mentioned two features.

>     I would like to see the ability for a named template to either
> return a value (which could be assigned to a variable in the calling
> template)

This you can do now:

<xsl:variable name="x">
 <xsl:call-template ....
</xsl:variable>

>  or for a template to be able to set/change the value of a
> global variable.

This seems such an unnatural thing to want (even though saxon:assign
gives it to you). Surely it is perfectly natural for the value of a
function f(x,y) to depend only on the values of x and y, and not on
whether you happened to have called previously some other function to
change some global state.

David