RE: new feature desired: return variable value

Subject: RE: new feature desired: return variable value
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:49:37 -0000
>     I would like to see the ability for a named template to either
> return a value (which could be assigned to a variable in the calling
> template)

You can do this already
<xsl:variable name="result"><xsl:call-template
name="a-function"/></xsl:variable>

The called template returns its result using <xsl:value-of>.

> or for a template to be able to set/change the value of a global variable.
This is entirely contrary to the philosophy of the language, which is
side-effect free so that the order of execution is not necessraily
sequential.
At the same time, I have demonstrated my lack of respect for such niceties
by implementing a <saxon:assign> instruction in the SAXON product. It's a
bit like those PEEK and POKE instructions in old versions of Basic:
intellectually beyond the pale, but handy when you're knee deep in elegant
recursive structures and it's hurting your brain.

Mike Kay