Re: HTML to XML

Subject: Re: HTML to XML
From: "Duane Nickull" <duane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 13:03:21 -0800
Yes.  There are two.

1. XML GLobal has a two way conversion process which is the subject of
scrutiny for it's use in retaining XML semantics within the confines of an
HTML document.  IT has been referred to by it's ancronym of XHML which
stands for Extensible hybrid markup language.  DO not worry - it's not being
proposed as another standard!  ;-)

The idea is that our XML Search Engine can then index HTML data the same way
it captures XML documents for indexing.

It converts XML to html but retains the original context by embedding the
XML tags within the html document that start with a namespace.  By default,
ours appear as <xhml:MyOriginalXmlTagHere>some
content</xhml:MyOriginalTagHere>.  This avoids collisions with other
namespaces.  It still renders the user the exact same page becuase browsers
ignore the tags they don;t understand due to forwards compatibility issues.
Our goals is to offer this as a way to make the WWW more intelligent to
search through one day.

2. A company called Percussion has a two way conversion engine they
unleashed this week at XML 99.  It converts XML to html but retains the
original context by embedding the XML tags within the html document inside a
Span ID="PREFIX - OriginalTagHere>

They have a two way demo for XML to HTML to XML conversions.

We plan on supporting both on goxml.com.  If you are proposing a similar
transformation,  I would like to hear more about it.

We would also like to place some information of this subject on XSLT.com.

Duane Nickull