Standardizing HTML look-and-feel in XSL (named templates)

Subject: Standardizing HTML look-and-feel in XSL (named templates)
From: "Bernie H." <bernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 21:08:44 -0500
I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to define a standardized HTML look-and-feel across my entire XSL page.  For example, I want to define a named template ("TABLE_CELL") that wraps a <TD></TD> set around whatever calls it.  I want to use this for all my XML elements so that I can change the BGCOLOR attribute in it and have the change apply throughout.

<xsl:template name="TABLE_CELL">
   <TD BGCOLOR="#000000">
      <xsl:value-of select="."/>
   </TD>
</xsl:template>

However, the <xsl:call-template> call seems to be very restrictive.  For example, if I want to also periodically use this hypothetical "BOLD" named template to wrap <B></B> tags...

<xsl:template name="BOLD">
   <B>
      <xsl:value-of select="."/>
   </B>
</xsl:template>

... I can't.  My lame attempt so far looks like this:

<xsl:template match="NAME">
   <xsl:call-template name="TABLE_CELL">
      <xsl:call-template name="BOLD"/>
   </xsl:call-template>
</xsl:template>

... but it only executes the "TABLE_CELL" named template.

Has anyone else tried to do this type of thing before?  Am I thinking about this problem the wrong way?

For the sake of this argument, I'm sticking with pure XSL Transformations (i.e. no "fo:" formatting namespace>.

Thanks,
Bernie
bernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx