RE: CharSet conversions

Subject: RE: CharSet conversions
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:43:03 -0000
> Marking up my XML to say <?xml version="1.0"
> encoding="MacRoman"?> results in a message (from Saxon)
> saying this encoding is not supported.

This message comes from the XML parser, not from Saxon. It might be that
there is an XML parser around that does support this encoding, in which case
you can use it with Saxon; but I'm afraid I don't know.

> I understand that Latin-1 and UTF-8 are the same for the
> first 256 characters. Is this true?

No. Latin-1 and Unicode are (effectively) the same for characters below 256,
but the UTF-8 encoding of Unicode uses the top bit to indicate that the
character is encoded in more than one octet.

>Converting to Latin-1 would be relatively easy.

In that case do that, and specify encoding="iso-8859-1"; or convert all
non-ASCII characters to character references, which should be equally easy.

Mike Kay