XT, Cocoon, & character entities

Subject: XT, Cocoon, & character entities
From: Perry Roland <pdr4h@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:49:55 -0500
Dear Collective Wisdom,

Is anyone else out there using Cocoon?  I'd appreciate any help
I can get.

Here's the problem:  I have documents which make frequent use of
multinational characters.  But using Cocoon with XT as my XSL
processor, the desired characters aren't rendered, they're simply
ignored.

Here's the beginning of one of my documents --

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?cocoon-process type="xt"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="component.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
<!DOCTYPE EAD [
<!ENTITY ISOlat1 SYSTEM
"/home/pdr4h/public_html/cgi-bin/eadmu/junk/junk2.pen">
<!ENTITY eacute  "&#233;" >
]>
<ead id="viu01143.sgm">

The internal eacute entity works.  I could define all the
entities internally, but I'd prefer not to.  The ISOlat1
entity should allow me to use any of the entities contained
in the junk2.pen file, but doesn't.  The syntax appears to
be correct.  Is this a bug/unimplemented feature in XT or Cocoon?

Thanks for your help to this newbie question.

--
Perry Roland
pdr4h@xxxxxxxxxxxx