RE: Special entity characters in Shift-JIS XSL.

Subject: RE: Special entity characters in Shift-JIS XSL.
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 12:44:41 -0400 (EST)
At 15 Dec 1999 17:13 -0500, Douglas Weed wrote:
 > Thanks for the replies.  The issue I am having is not related to the
 > intepretation of the entities as unicode vs bytes.  The encoding is double
 > byte and the characters I am trying to get into the HTML are placed in the
 > XSL, along with the other HTML tags.  What I really need is a way to
 > 'escape' the &#XXX;&#XXX; decimal references so that the parser will not try
 > to interpert them as either ASCII or Unicode.  Instead it will place them in
 > the output stream, as is.  The target browser, obviously not one of the big
 > 2, has a special code page which will translate the two entities into 1
 > double byte image.  The code page is similar to WingDings found in the true
 > type fonts on Windows. Thanks again for the replies.

You don't have a way to "escape" decimal references.  By definition,
numeric character references are to Unicode characters.

Another option is to use code values from the Private Use area for
your special characters (although there is a Unicode character for
your example character) then translate the Private Use code value to
your magic byte sequence after you've done the XSL transformation.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632