XML DOM Q: understanding namespace nodes

Subject: XML DOM Q: understanding namespace nodes
From: Mike Brown <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:55:06 -0700
Can someone clear something up for me? I was trying out Khun Yee Fung's
XPathTool and am noticing it only lists namespace nodes where they are
declared.

My interpretation of http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#namespace-nodes is that
every element that is a descendant of an element where a namespace is
declared will contain an identical namespace node for that prefix/namespace
combo that is in scope. They are kind of like attributes that are inherited,
and are separate from the namespace URI found in the expanded-name of the
element.

<doc>
   <myElement id="1" xmlns="uri0" xmlns:foo1="uri1" xmlns:foo2="uri2">
      <bar>hello world</bar>
   </myElement>
</doc>

...would have a node structure like:

|__element (expanded-name: 'doc'+nullURI)
    |__text '\n   '
    |__element (expanded-name: 'myElement'+'uri0')
    |   |  |__namespace default='uri0'
    |   |  |__namespace 'foo1'='uri1'
    |   |  |__namespace 'foo2'='uri2'
    |   |  |__attribute 'id'='1'
    |   |__text '\n     '
    |   |__element (expanded-name: 'bar'+'uri0')
    |   |   |  |__namespace default='uri0'
    |   |   |  |__namespace 'foo1'='uri1'
    |   |   |  |__namespace 'foo2'='uri2'
    |   |   |__text 'hello world'