XSL to create positional ASCII text layout

Subject: XSL to create positional ASCII text layout
From: Jeff Hamilton <jhamilton@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:40:50 -0500
I would like to use XSL to create plain ASCII text reports
using XML as a data source.  The major requirement is
to be able to place a field in a specific spot on the page,
say "row 6, column 10".

I created an XSL stylesheet that partially worked, however
the whitespace in the XSL was semantic.  This resulted in
some very messy XSL.

Can what I want to do be done with just transformations?  Or
should I be thinking about modelling my reports with
XSL formatting instructions and building ( or does one exist?)
a formatter to create these ASCII reports.

We are using the MSXML parser/processor.