X-Referencing

Subject: X-Referencing
From: Jeremy Quinn <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 13:04:59 +0000
Hi,

I am designing some cross-referencing within a set of XML Documents, using IDs and IDREFs.

The idea is to have a set of links, referencing documents both external and local to the document set. Then put references to those links wherever I like, and have them rendered according to context into the HTML.

This is what the links look like. (Links with an external relationship, supply all their information, those with parent, sibling or child relationships have their info referenced from their local file using document().)

    <links>
        <link id="hrc" rel="external" type="full">
            <ref>http://www.hrc.wmin.ac.uk</ref>
            <target>_top</target>
            <title>The Hypermedia Research Centre</title>
            <about>blah blah blah</about>
        </link>
        <link id="theory" rel="child" type="ref">
            <ref>ma/theory</ref>
        </link>
    </links>

I envisage being able to use the references like this.

    <someOtherLevel>
            Welcome to <link idref="hrc"/>,
            or as we call it the <link idref="hrc">HRC</link>.
    </someOtherLevel>

My question is not so much how to do it, I think I have a grip on that, I'm sure I'll ask you lot if I can't work it out ....

Thing is, I am using the <link> tag in two different ways.
As a "container" and as a "pointer".
Is it possible to write a DTD that will be smart enough to validate both usages?

Can you say for instance that in one situation it has to have an "id" attribute and "ref" element, while in another it has to have an "idref" attribute?

I could come up with a new name, but I like the symmetry.

Thanks for any help.

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre