Using XSL to include non-XML data?

Subject: Using XSL to include non-XML data?
From: Thomas E Enebo <Thomas.E.Enebo-2@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 17:44:33 -0600 (CST)
  I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to ask this question.
Here is a shot at it.  I have a list of n text elements in a Java
application.  I also have an XML document that has a list of n
sub-elements.  I want to write an XSL rule so that the i'th element in
the XML document will be rendered using an XSL rule that will put the
text of the i'th element from the java application as output.  Is this
possible?  Or should I be looking at this problem in a different way?

  The only two things that strike me are:

1. Running the XML data through two stylesheets.  The first stylesheet
will generate a second stylesheet that creates n template rules for each
XML subelement with a xsl:param statement and a variable reference.  When
the data is rendered a second time, then it will grab the params from the
java application and substitute the variable references.  This idea scares
me.

2. Create an extension that will do this.  An example could be:
   <my_extension:insert name="sub_element" value="position()"/>
I am not even sure if this is possible (I am using Xalan).

-Tom

--
+--------http://www.tc.umn.edu/~enebo --------+-mailto:enebo@xxxxxxxxxx -+
| Thomas E Enebo, Friend of the University    | ???????????????????????? |